MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials which have attracted much attention in recent years, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in numerous fields. The following is a detailed introduction to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively known as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the three elements of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of the electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are popular in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is really a new type of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material using the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers to the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers back to the components of C and/or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials composed of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the wonderful physical properties of MAX materials make them have a wide range of applications in structural materials. For example, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which could be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be utilized in functional materials. For instance, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials likewise have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be found in energy materials. For example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials with higher ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which bring a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, similar to the structure of graphene. The surface of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation ways of MXene materials usually include the etching management of the MAX phase as well as the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties like electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics can be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials composed of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are popular in energy storage and conversion. For example, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials can also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the activity and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity may be used in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be utilized in sensing and detection. For instance, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which may realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, using the continuous progress of technology and science and the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application parts of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. The following aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and techniques could be further explored to understand a much more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, but there is still room for more optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment along with other elements of the content could be studied and improved in depth to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be widely used in lots of fields, but you may still find many potential application areas to become explored. Later on, they could be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in lots of fields. Using the continuous progress of technology and science and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.